Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 247
BL and David discuss the global Google employee walkout; Ben & Jerry’s Pecan Resist ice cream; new Facebook 3D photos; brevity rules on Twitter; the Grinch shops on Ebates; Bing offers LinkedIn targeting in search ads; standup comedy visualized; Disney bedtime soundtracks for kids via Google Home; the Devil’s Triad; dead digital celebrities; Facebook fake ad problems persist…and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Google Employees’ Worldwide Walkout
Thousands of Googlers worldwide held walkouts today to protest the company’s handling of sexual harassment.
- Google Walkout: Employees Stage Protest Over Handling of Sexual Harassment
- How Google Protected Andy Rubin, the ‘Father of Android’
- Sundar Pichai emailed Google staff saying he was ‘deeply sorry’ for the firm’s record on sexual misconduct
3D Facebook Photos
What if you could peek behind what’s in your photos, like you’re moving your head to see what’s inside a window?
- Facebook rolls out 3D photos that use AI to simulate depth
- 3D Photos Now Rolling out on Facebook and in VR
Ben & Jerry’s “Pecan Resist” Political Ice Cream
Ben & Jerry’s says it’s taking a stand against what it calls the Trump administration’s regressive policies by rebranding one of its flavors Pecan Resist. Sales of the flavor support $25,000 each to four activist entities: Color of Change, Honor the Earth, Women’s March and multi-media platform Neta.
The Grinch Saves At Ebates
Ebates is running a cute tie-in commercial with the new Grinch animated feature film.
Brevity Still Rules One Year After Tweet Length Doubled
Increasing Tweet length from 140 to 289 hasn’t turned all tweets into short novels.The average quote is just 33 characters.
- A year after tweets doubled in size, brevity still rules
- Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 209 – Co-hosts B.L. Ochman and David Erickson debated the increase to 280 characters.
literally my only talent was being able to think of tweets exactly 140 characters long. i don't know if I will be able to alter this to 280.
— christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) September 26, 2017
Bing Ads LinkedIn
Bing rolls out LinkedIn targeting options for search ads.
- Bing Announces LinkedIn Profile Targeting for Bing Ads
- A smarter way to target your audience with Bing Ads and LinkedIn
Twitter Outs Election Disrupting Russian & Iranian Accounts
Twitter released all 10 million accounts and two million pieces of related content it identified as part of Russian and Iranian information operations on its service in the past two years. All of the content is available for independent research and investigation.
- Twitter raises the curtain on disinformation. Other companies should take a tip
- How Big Oil Dodges Facebook’s New Ad Transparency Rules
Dead Digital Celebrities
Improvements in CGI mean neither age nor death need stop some performers from working.
- Actors are digitally preserving themselves to continue their careers beyond the grave
- Digital Domain
Stand-Up Comedy Visualized
A superb visual essay that breaks down the humor in Ali Wong’s stand-up routine.
Bedtime Soundtracks For Disney Books
A new sponsored feature aims to enhance stories read aloud.
The Devil’s Triad
Quartz’ Obsession takes a deep dive into the Devil’s Triad, tracing its history from the Middle Ages.
Worst Digital Cases
Facebook Can’t Solve Its Problems
Vice News and ProPublica proved that Facebook’s “Paid for by” feature is easily manipulated and appears to allow anyone to lie about who is paying for a political ad, or to pose as someone paying for the ad.
- We Posed As 100 Senators to Run Ads on Facebook. Facebook approved all of them
- Twitter’s New US Issues Ads Policy
Ticketmaster’s Craptastick App
David rants about the horrible experience of trying multiple times and unsuccessfully of getting a ticket transfered to him with the Ticketmaster app. Worst consumer experience ever..but then at least it’s consistent with the brand.
BrouHaHa About Twitter Likes Removal
The Telegraph reported that Twitter is getting rid of the Like button. That news went viral. The change is or is not true.
As we've been saying for a while, we are rethinking everything about the service to ensure we are incentivizing healthy conversation, that includes the like button. We are in the early stages of the work and have no plans to share right now. https://t.co/k5uPe5j4CW
— Twitter Comms (@TwitterComms) October 29, 2018
Short story on "like." We've been open that we're considering it. Jack even mentioned it in front of the US Congress. There's no timeline. It's not happening "soon." https://t.co/jXBmkudWYv
— Brandon Borrman (@bborrman) October 29, 2018
Shiny New Stuff
CEO Address Lookup
An app that can find (but not always) the email, snail mail and other deets about any CEO.
Excellent list of 35 social media and marketing Twitter chats.
- DNC Vote For Me Commercial
The Daily Numbers
- 154 Marketing Reports, Surveys & Polls For October, 2018
- Reuters Institute Digital News Report 2018 [PDF]