Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 295
BL and David discuss “Cry Me A Cockroach” vindictive Valentines via San Antonio Zoo; social media savvy Astronaut Christina returns to earth; Seventh Generation’s brilliant State of the Union ad; Spotify’s podcast expansion; flirting with Tinder bots; how Netflix gets to the Oscars; Twitter squashes student’s parody, then apologizes; Planters Baby Nut banned; best and worst Super Bowl LIV ads; the Iowa Caucus debacle; hacking Google Maps; world’s worst job ad and world’s funniest resume; Clearview AI slapped with cease-and-decists; Celebrity Cruises’ clueless commercial; 2020 election disinformation wars; Edelman Trust Barometer…and much, much more.
SUBSCRIBE: iTunes or Google Play or Stitcher or iHeart Radio or Amazon Echo or search the Spotify app. Your browser does not support the audio element.
Best Digital Cases
#AstronautChristina Returns to Earth
Christina Koch @AstronautChristina landed safely on earth after completing 328 days in space – the longest single spaceflight by a woman.
Flirting At Scale
How to automate your love life.
7th Generation Wins State of the Union
Seven Generation bought 60-second ads on ABC, CBS and NBC between the State of the Union address and the Democratic response, laying out the brand’s outlook on climate change – which wasn’t mentioned in the speech.
- Seventh Generation Buys First Crack at State of the Union Response With Ad Across ABC, CBS, NBC
- Believe in a Seventh Gneeration
Cry Me A Cockroach
The San Antonio zoo is hosting its first-ever “Cry me a Cockroach” event where you can take revenge on your ex.
Hacking Google Maps
99 second hand smartphones were transported in a handcart by performance artist SImon Weckert to generate virtual traffic jam in Google Maps.
Burger King Breakup Boxes
Burger King — along with the new Harley Quinn movie, Birds of Prey — has an upcoming Valentine’s Day promotion: Basically, if you show a photo of your ex at select Burger King locations, you get a free Whopper.
- Burger King Will Give You A Free Whopper If You Show A Pic Of Your Ex
- Burger King Will Let You Trade a Photo of Your Ex for a Free Whopper This Valentine’s Day
Good News For Podcasts
Spotify has purchased The Ringer, the podcast network started by Bill Simmons
- Spotify is Buying The Ringer
- The Ringer
- Spotify’s Purchase Of The Ringer Won’t Be Cheap, But The Payoff Could Be Huge
Netflix’ Oscars Push
Netflix leased and reopened New York’s Paris Theater in a push to highlight Netflix Originals and qualify for Oscar nominations.
The Super Co-Op Bowl
Baby Nut was born from tears of corporate sibling Kool-Aid as Procter & Gamble’s Mr. Clean looked on at funeral.
- The Super Bowl Became The Co-Op Bowl With A Blitz Of Brand Mashups
- Watch All of the 2020 Super Bowl Commercials
Worst Digital Cases
Twitter Caves to College
In an unprecedented move, Twitter took away a college student’s access to his parody account mocking his school and handed it over to the university’s administrators.
- In an unprecedented move, Twitter gave a state university access to a student’s parody account after it complained that he was mocking the school
- Isaiah Kelly’s Twitter account
- SUNY Geneseo’s official account
Stop Clearview AI
Clearview AI, a controversial face recognition start-up, whose customers include hundreds of U.S. law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, has been served cease-and-desist letters by Google and its subsidiary YouTube.
- Google Slaps Face-Recognition Firm Clearview With a Cease-and-Desist Order
- Episode 294: Racist Facial Recognition?
Planters Ham Handed Baby Nut Tweets Banned
Twitter suspended three meme accounts launched by Planters to promote their re-incarnated Mr. Peanut mascot, dubbed Baby Nut.
- Twitter suspended 3 Baby Nut meme accounts created by Planters because they violated its rules
- Twitter’s Spam and Manipulation Policy
- Planters engineered a viral Super Bowl moment with Baby Nut. A network of meme pages was created before its debut to ensure internet fame.
Celebrity Cruise’s Acid Trip
White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane as the theme music for a cruise line?!?
World’s Worst Job?
Shadow, the company whose app was blamed for screwing up the Iowa Caucus posted a job ad the next morning for a salesperson.
Worst Super Bowl Ads
According to USA Today’s Ad Meter, which lets the public rank Super Bowl ads online, using a scale of 1 to 10.
World’s Worst Resume
This guy had a very bad year.
Shiny New Stuff
Google Search Console
Learn the A-B-Cs of Google Search Console with this training series.
How new technologies and techniques pioneered by dictators will shape the 2020 election.
The Daily Numbers
Edelman’s annual global trust barometer released
- Fewer than 1 in 3 people in developed markets believe they and their families will be better off in five years’ time
- 56% believe that capitalism as it exists today does more harm than good in the world
- Fewer than 1 in 5 people believe that the system is working for them
- Edelman’s 2020 Global Trust Barometer Report [PDF]
Beyond Social Media Hosts
Beyond Social Media Show
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Leave a Comment