Logan Paul Is Still Appalling & 2018 Women's March
Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 215
Co-hosts B.L. Ochman and David Erickson discussed the 2018 Women’s March; the best of the Consumer Electronics Show; a Saudi camel beauty contest scandal; a clever convention positioning tactic; the Natural Light Super Bowl ad offering to pay down student debt; a Google Street View soundtrack; Vikings quarterback Case Keenum’s virtual reality training; Hawaii governor’s Twitter password problem; YouTube moving the goal posts on small time creators; Logal Paul’s slap on the wrist; Donald Trump’s media attacks; HP Spectre’s unfortunate naming problem; the latest Edelman Trust Barometer; Starbucks attacked with fake news; the Steve Bannon and Brietbart conspiracy to sink Twitter; plus great new apps and stats you should know…and much, much more.
SUBSCRIBE: iTunes or Google Play or Stitcher or iHeart Radio or search the Spotify app.
Best Digital Cases
Millions of Women March
The sheer magnitude of the second annual Women’s March should have dominated the news for days. The theme: we’ll bring our power to the polls. Ah, but nothing trumps 45 anymore.
- Flipboard Photo Gallery
- A New Mood at the Washington, D.C., Women’s March
- Saturday Night Live’s “What Even Matters Anymore“
The Best Of CES
Every technology geek’s favorite time of year, the Consumer Electronics Show, has come and gone.
Botox Scandal Rocks Saudi Camel Beauty Contest
A botox scandal caused 12 camels to be disqualified from King Abdulaziz Camel Festival beauty contest in Saudi Arabia. Thirty thousand camels participated in the festival, which is basically the Super Bowl of camel pageantry.
- Saudi Camel Beauty Festival: 12 Entrants Disqualified for Botox Use
- Camels Disqualified From Saudi Arabian Beauty Contest for Botox Use
Saudi Arabia's 'camel beauty pageant' sees 12 beasts disqualified for the use of botox https://t.co/aU7gyIUJGi via @ReutersTV pic.twitter.com/ufrXrVNXZw pic.twitter.com/XJT2egwIXZ
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) January 23, 2018
Quartz reporter Mike Murphy used a clever tactic to promote the fact that he was reporting from the Consumer Electronics Show: He changed his Twitter name to “Mike Murphy Is At CES.”
Natural Light’s Super Bowl Ad Offers To Pay Down Student Debt
Anheuser-Busch InBev will feature it’s economy brand Natty Light in a Super Bowl spot in 10 local markets to plug a new sweepstakes program giving away $1 million to help current and former college students pay off student loans.
- Natty Light’s Regional Superbowl Ad Plugs Student Debt Playoff Contest
- Natural Light offers to pay down college debt in regional Super Bowl ad
The Sounds Of Google Street View
Now you can take a virtual tour through Google Street View complete with a soundtrack.
NFL Virtual Reality Quarterback Training
Minnesota Vikings backup quarterback Case Keenum took his team to the doorstep of Super Bowl LII and he did it with the help of practice in virtual reality.
Worst Digital Cases
Hawaii Governor Didn’t Correct False Missile Alert Sooner Because He Didn’t Know His Twitter Password
This has to be the worst excuse ever! David Ige, governor of Hawaii, says it took him 38 minutes to get on Twitter and say that the missile coming toward them was a mistake.
The reason? Ige’s answer: He didn’t know his Twitter password.
- Hawaii governor didn’t correct false missile alert sooner because he didn’t know his Twitter password
- Person who sent false Hawaii missile alert not cooperating in FCC probe, official says
YouTube Moves The Goal Posts
YouTube has uppped the requirements for people to monetize their videos.
Trump Named Number One Global Oppressor of the Press
Finally! An award Donald Trump deserves. Committee to Protect Journalists has made him top winner in its global oppressor of the press awards. He topped leaders of Turkey, China, Egypt and Russia.
- CPJ Presents the Press Oppressors Awards
- Spreadsheet of Trump’s Tweets insulting the press
- With press freedom under attack worldwide, US is setting wrong example
YouTube slaps Logan Paul on the wrist for his appalling behavior of uploading a video of a recent suicide victim for his millions of subscribers.
Edelman Trust Barometer Shows Collapse of Trust in the U.S.
In the annual Edelman Trust Barometer survey of 28 countries, the United States’ 37 percent slump in trust across government, media, businesses and non-government organizations (NGOs) is the world’s biggest drop in the past year. The collapse of trust in the U.S. is driven by a staggering lack of faith in government.
- 2018 Edelman Barometer: Trust Collapses As People Question Nature Of Truth/li>
- PDF of 2018 Edelman Trust Report
The Spectre Of A Poorly-Named Laptop
Naming your computer after a historic security flaw might not have been a good idea.
Political Partisans Attack Starbucks With Fake News
An fake image of a Facebook post that purported to come from a Starbucks employee who target white employees with contaminated drinks went viral.
- A Starbucks briefly closed after a hoax about a barista defiling white people’s food went viral
- PR lessons from the social media hoax targeting Starbucks
- This Is How Steve Bannon And Breitbart Tried To Sabotage Twitter
Shiny New Stuff
Media Shift Daily Newsletter
A must-read daily newsletter by Mark Glaser
Copy and paste sets of commonly-used Instagram hashtags.
The Shorter Thesaurus
A great tool for headline writing & Tweeting
Likes For Likes
Like others’ Instagram photos, get Likes in return.
A fabulous list of copy editing resources from the Society of Professional Journalists. Includes news gathering and verification tools, an app for editing on a smartphone and lots more.
Industrial Strength Wireframing Tool
Create website wireframes, layouts, and share and collaborate on interactive prototypes.
- Digital Marketers Share Strategies For Twitter’s New 280 Character Limit – David is quoted in this story
- Vikings vs Saints: What I Learned About Social Media From Attending The Game
- B.L. quoted in Muck Rack daily.
Maybe she thinks the weather will b Stormy https://t.co/kfJNzDHr9O
— (((B.L. Ochman))) (@whatsnext) January 23, 2018
The Daily Numbers
BEYOND SOCIAL MEDIA HOSTS
What’s Next Blog
Funwalkers License Plates
BEYOND SOCIAL MEDIA SHOW
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Leave a Comment