Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 249
BL and David discuss the new revelations of Facebook’s shady response to the Russian infiltration of its network; China ZTE’s exporting of the technological tools of totalitarianism to Venezuela; the Wall Street Journal’s efforts to detect deepfakes; the long-form video trend at YouTube; Firefox Monitor’s data breach notifications; a hilarious response to cheap clients; Facebook’s Most Amazing Dog show; Pandora’s Podcast Genome project; Iceland Foods’ banned Christmas commercial; Coca-Cola’s sappy social media wipe; the GoFundMe fraud story gets fraud-ier; and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
How Journalists Are Learning to Detect Deepfakes
The Wall St. Journal has formed an internal deepfakes taskforce to teach reporters to detect deepfakes. A quiz is included in the story. Can you tell real from fake?
Is YouTube becoming an appointment-watching channel?
- Welcome to the Age of the Hour-Long YouTube Video
- Why Instagram Opens Up to Long-Form Video
- Many Turn to YouTube for Children’s Content, News, How-To Lessons
- YouTube introduces channel memberships, merchandise and premieres
- YouTube Dominates Long-Form Video and Appointment Viewing
Firefox Tagging Data Breaches in 26 Languages
Firefox Monitor desktop browser itself will tell you if a website you are currently visiting has reported a data breach in the past year.
- Firefox Monitor expands to more than 26 languages, Firefox gets website data breach alerts
- Firefox Monitor
- Firefox Container AddOn
When Your Client Asks If You Can Do It Cheaper
World’s Most Amazing Dog Contest
Is your dog amazing? You could win $100,000 (USD)
- World’s Most Amazing Dog Contest Site
- Facebook Watch Partners With The Dodo for ‘World’s Most Amazing Dog’ Competition Show
Finding Your Perfect Podcast
Pandora Podcast Genome aims to help you find your perfect podcast match, based on your prior listening habits.
- Pandora’s podcast genome project will help you find your next Serial
- Pandora’s Podcast Genome Wants To Find Your Next Favorite Show
Worst Digital Cases
The inside story of how, rather than coming clean, Facebook mounted an aggressive public relations, public affairs and smear campaign in the wake of the Russian manipulation scandal.
- TL;MR – Delay, Deny & Deflect: How Facebook’s Leaders Fought Through Crisis
- The Microsoft breakup that never happened
Iceland’s Christmas Ad Banned
A banned Christmas ad is turning into an earned media bonanza for Iceland Foods.
China’s ZTE is exporting the technological tools of totalitarianism.
This is scary. China is exporting technological totalitarianism.
⚡️ “How Venezuela is building a China-style ID system to monitor its citizens”https://t.co/RYHDGtjAQk
— David Erickson (@derickson) November 15, 2018
Coca-Cola Gets Sappy
Coca-Cola wiped their social accounts and came back happy and sappy
— Coca-Cola (@CocaCola) November 13, 2018
Turns out, the vet was in on it too.
Shiny New Stuff
Glassbox turns website data into actionable insights by combining AI, machine learning and big data.
Free Photoshop clone that runs in your browser.