Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 187
BL and David discuss anti-Net Neutrality spammers, Alexa calling from all Echo devices, Mother Jones’ crowdsourced investigation of Trump’s Russian ties, nine anti-FCC, anti-Net Neutrality Republican senators, kids beat up robots, Amazon opening a permanent homeless shelter within its HQ, how eating Ben & Jerry’s One World Ice Cream can make you a philanthropist, Artificial Intelligence to aid human memories, how to create a poll on Facebook…and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Joke’s on you, big beer brands.
Happy Mutha’s Day!
Brands had some irreverant fun this Mother’s Day.
- Swear Like A Mother
- Watch HBO Stars’ Moms Recite Naughty Lines For Mother’s Day
- KFC Wants To Give Mothers An Escape With New Novella Featuring Sanders
- Tender Wings Of Desire eBook
Mother Jones Is Raising $500K To Do Their Own Trump/Russia Investigation
“To get to the truth on the Trump team’s connections to Russia,” the magazine plans on raising $500,000 through a crowdfunding campaign “to make sure truth prevails over power.”
- Mother Jones is raising $500,000 to do their own investigation of Trump Russia ties
- Now It’s About Much More Than Trump and Russia
- Where to Donate
Fake News Blacklist
It appears email blacklists will be the model for choking the fake news funnel.
- Can A Master Blacklist Choke Off Fake News’ Money Supply?
- Open Brand Safety framework
- BuzzMachine by Jeff Jarvis
Ben & Jerry’s New Flavor Makes Eating Ice Cream Philanthropic
Blessings upon Ben & Jerry’s for new One Love Ice Cream, dedicated to the memory of Bob Marley. A portion of sales supports the One Love Youth Camp in Jamaica. Yumm!
Google is testing including job opening listings within its search results pages.
Oval Office Fumigated After Complaints of Overwhelming Smell of Bullshit
Waterford Whispers News is a satirical site, in the vein of The Onion, but that didn’t stop this story from generating nearly 1,000 comments from all sides of the aisle.
- Oval Office Fumigated After Complaints of Overwhelming Smell of Bullshit
- Waterford Whispers News Disclaimer
Amazon provides a permanent home to the homeless.
Rock Em Sock Em Robot
An inebrieted California man had apparently had it up to here with the damn robot patrols.
- A Drunk Man Was Arrested For Knocking Over Silicon Valley’s Crime-Fighting Robot
- Mall Security Bot Knocks Down Toddler, Breaks Asimov’s First Law Of Robotics
- Police: Drunk Man Knocked Down 300-Pound Robot In Mountain View
- Children Beating Up Robot Inspires New Escape Maneuver System
— Tiffany Wilson (@TWilsonTV) April 25, 2017
The inventor of Siri thinks we’ll eventually be able to upload, store and retrieve our memories.
Worst Digital Cases
The level playing field of the Internet is again under assault by Republicans.
- The FCC Wants To Eliminate Net Neutrality Protections. We Can’t Let That Happen.
- “Restoring Internet Freedom (NOT) Act”
Anti-Net Neutrality Spammers Impersonating Real People to Flood FCC Comments
This week, thousands – including spammers and bots – posted comments on the FCC’s website in response to a proposed rollback of net neutrality internet protections, weighing in on whether and how to defend the open internet.
A London bar is adding eye candy to its alcoholic drinks.
Amazon Enables Free Calls and Messages on All Echo Devices with Alexa Calling
Alexa Calling, free voice calls and messaging services that you use through all Echo devices, as well as for with the Alexa app for smartphones. Another danger to ever-eroded privacy? Time will tell.
- Amazon Enables Free Calls and Messages on All Echo devices with Alexa Calling
- Amazon Alexa Calling and Messaging Page
How to go out with a bang.
- Closed RadioShack’s Facebook Page Hurls F-bombs At Customers, Becomes Internet Legend.
- Reynoldsburg, Ohio Radio Shack
Shiny New Stuff
Get hours, admission costs, directions, one-touch dialing and more for over 2,700 #museums in 79 US cities. #traveltips
What it is and why it’s awesome.
The Way to Design – the Crucial Importance of Design by Steve Vassallo
An important free book for designers and non-design entrepreneurs and executives. Design can make a huge difference and might even help people pick the next big thing.
How to Create Facebook Polls
Facebook only lets you create polls in groups. This is an open public group you can join to create polls and see results. Request to join here You can share polls created in the group on your pages.
The Daily Numbers
- Kentucky Fried Chicken Mother’s Day Sales:
- Mother’s Day is KFC’s best-selling day of the year.
- The restaurant chain experiences a 40 percent sales jump on the holiday dedicated to celebrating mom,
- Serving about 380,000 families each year on Mother’s Day.