Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 272
BL and David discuss #QueenOfTheInternet Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Trends report; how Radiohead thwarted extortionists; Facebook’s Zuckerberg deep faked; Barney’s pot department; Kraft’s salad frosting; VW’s masterful crisis handling; dangers of thumb drives; text neck woes; how to build a Google Data Studio; difficulties of defining hate; …and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Trends Report
The Queen of the Internet drops her annual Internet Trends report spanning 333 slides
- Mary Meeker: 2019 Internet Trends Report Highlights [VIDEO]
- 2019 Internet Trends Report by Mary Meeker [PRESENTATION]
- 303 Marketing Reports For May
- Archive of Mary Meeker Trends Presentations
- Mary Meeker’s most important trends on the internet
Zuckerberg Deep Faked
Facebook refused to remove a deep fake video of Nancy Pelosi so two artists and an advertising company created a deep fake of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg saying things he never said, and uploaded it to Instagram.
- This Deepfake of Mark Zuckerberg Tests Facebook’s Fake Video Policies
- Top AI researchers race to detect ‘deepfake’ videos: ‘We are outgunned’
Radiohead takes a page from Jeff Bezos’ playbook and defangs wannabe extortionists.
- Rather Than Pay $150K in Ransom, Radiohead Publishes Stolen Music and Donates Sales to Environmental Group
- Radiohead on Bandcamp
Barney’s Adds a Weed Concierge (Dealer)
In March, Barney’s opened cannabis lifestyle shop “The High End” on the fifth floor of its Beverly Hills flagship store, complete with a a “cannabis concierge” (dealer) who can educate customers about the plant and sell them actual weed. The highest priced item costs $9K.
Google Data Studio 101
Step by step instructions for getting started with Google Data Studio.
Volkswagen Tackles Its Scandal
A new Volkswagen ad campaign addresses the 2015 emissions scandal that damaged the brand worldwide and spins it into VW’s push into electric vehicles. One ad’s headline: “After a bad buzz, here is a better one.”
Kraft Heinz is rebrands its ranch dressing to help you #LikeLikeAParent.
- Kraft Rebrands Ranch Dressing as ‘Salad Frosting’ to Trick Kids Into Eating Vegetables
- Kraft Wants You to #LieLikeAParent
- Kraft #LieLikeAParent Microsite
Worst Digital Cases
How Modern Life Is Transforming Our Skeletons
Our heads are getting narrower and there’s a curious spiky growth on the back of many people’s skulls. Wait! What?! It’s from looking at our phones all the time!
Beware those free conference thumb drives!
Definition Of Hate Speech
The problem with harmful content may be that it cannot be boiled down to an If/Then statement.
Three is two too many!
Shiny New Stuff
Best Pomodoro Method Timers
This productivity philosophy essentially prompts you to focus on a task for 25 minutes, then take a five-minute break.
Keyword Research + Content Analysis
Ubersuggest 4.0 is a major upgrade!