Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 290
BL and David discuss Tesla’s embarrassing shattered cybertruck launch; Google Project Luna bringing Internet connectivity to rural Peru; holograms you can see, hear and feel; Google Earth Tours; America’s personalities; the “return” of organic influencers; Wall St Journal’s search engine misinformation; pinball search behavior…and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
99 Google Loon Balloons
Google’s tennis court-sized solar-powered balloons doubling as cell towers could soon address the digital divide in rural Peru.
- Loon’s autonomous balloons are bringing the internet to rural Peru
- Google’s Project Loon: Balloon-Powered Internet for Everyone, Everywhere
- Google and Facebook race to provide global connectivity
Pinball Search Behavior
Because today’s search-results pages have many possible complex layouts, users don’t always process search results sequentially. They distribute their attention more variably across the page than in the past.
Holograms You Can See, Feel and Hear
In the future, if a hologram of James Dean makes a movie, you’ll be able to not only to see and hear him, but also feel him.
Google Earth Tours
It’s like a homemade guided tour.
Download 576 Free Art Books
You can now download 576 art catalogs and other books from The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art Puts 400,000 High-Res Images Online & Makes Them Free to Use
- Download 576 Free Art Books from The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Organic Influence Marketing
Paid influencers have jumped the shark.
- Why the Future of Influencer Marketing will be Organic Influencers
- Episode 251: Payless Punks Influencers
Pschoanalyzing America’s Regions
People in different regions of the U.S. have measurably different psychological profiles.
Worst Digital Cases
Wall St Journal Gets Search Wrong
“In the end, the WSJ’s report is an embarrassing piece of “journalism,” and a missed opportunity that unfairly paints a black eye on Google Search and the SEO community.”
- Misquoted and misunderstood: Why many in the search community don’t believe the WSJ about Google search
- WSJ report about Google search manipulation gets a lot wrong
- Google: How We Keep Search Relevant & Useful
Tesla shares fell 3.2% to $343.55 in pre-market trading after the botched reveal.
Watch Hyper-Reality and Merger, two depictions of a dystopian future of augmented reality and algorithms by media artist Keiichi Matsuda.
Shiny New Stuff
Social Media Podcasts
Holiday Marketing Calendar for 2020
Marketing planning gold.
What Joe Biden Can’t Bring Himself to Say
Biden’s verbal stumbles have voters worried about his mental fitness. Maybe they’d be more understanding if they knew he’s still fighting a stutter.