Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 260
BL and David discuss 12 year-old journalist Hilde Kate Lysiak; Tweet Annotations; Little Ditty, Bout Jack & Diane’s wedding; 2019 Video Trends; Anty McAntface naming contest; free coloring books from museums; Boo on Burberry’s noose; Zion Williamson’s Nike shoe blowout; YouTube brand ad exodus; Google’s secret microphone … and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
12 Year-Old Journalist Hilde Kate Lysiak Rules
Since she was 9, Hilde has broken news about bank robberies, alleged rapes and other lurid crimes in the Orange Street News, the paper that she publishes out of her parents’ home in Selinsgrove, Pa.
- An Arizona cop threatened to arrest a 12-year-old journalist. She wasn’t backing down.
- Orange Street News
- Hilde’s YouTube Channel
Twitter doesn’t have an “edit” button, which means if you say something stupid or inaccurate or that gets taken out of context, you’re either stuck with that tweet forever or you have to delete the tweet entirely.
Jack & Diane’s Wedding
To make the point that two senior dogs, who the shelter named Jack and Diane were a bonded pair who need to be adopted together, Kennebec Valley Humane Society in Augusta, Maine, staged a wedding with music by John Cougar Mellencamp.
- Animal Shelter Throws Senior Dogs Adorable Wedding So They Can Get Adopted Together
- The Wedding of Jack & Diane
2019 Video Trends
Mats Micheal Olsen of the Spoon agency discusses some video trends to pay attention to this year.
Anty McAntface Naming Contest
Friday Tweet from the Yorkshire Wildlife Park: Against all better judgement from upper management, we have been granted permission to run a naming competition for our new baby Anteater.
Please, internet – be kind.
Free Coloring Books
Over a hundred museums and libraries around the world make coloring books based on their collections for the Color Our Collections program.
- Download Coloring Pages From Over 100 Museums
- Color Our Collections
- The Huge Hunter; or, The Steam Man of the Prairies
Worst Digital Cases
Boo on Burberry Noose!
Burberry is the latest brand with a stupid, racist, ugly piece of clothing to apologize for. They’re deeply sorry about the noose around the model’s neck.
Nike Blows It
Nike became the focus of one of the biggest US college basketball games of the season this week, but not for a reason it would like.
- Nike Faces A PR Disaster After Its Shoe Blew Out In A High-Profile Basketball Game
- Zion Williamson shouldn’t listen to anyone but himself on his decision to return to Duke
- Nike stock market value plunges by $1.1bn after basketball star Zion Williamson’s shoe breaks
Brands Pull Ads from YouTube Amid Pedophile Invasion
Brands including AT&T, Disney, Kellogg, Hasbro and Epic Games, the publisher of “Fortnite,” have pulled advertisements from YouTube over mounting concern that the video sharing platform has been co-opted by pedophiles
- AT&T, Disney, Epic Games drop YouTube ads over concerns of pedophile comments on videos
- Nestle, Disney & Epic Games pull YouTube ads amid paedophile infiltration fears
- YouTube Tries to Fix Its Pedophile-Related Ad Debacle As More Brands Flee The Platform
- STATEMENT: Anti-Abuse Organization Confirms Pedophile Rings and Child Exploitation on YouTube
Google, Are You Listening?
Nest users didn’t know a microphone existed on their security device.
- Google says the built-in microphone it never told Nest users about was ‘never supposed to be a secret’
Shiny New Stuff
A photo-sharing site on which you can license your images.
- Do You Have What It Takes to Become a Web Designer? – David was quoted in this article
Building a Twitter Following from scratch
The first hundred followers are the hardest to attract. Here are the steps to follow.
- Start by using FollowerWonk to search bios for keywords you want to rank on. Since Twitter bios can only be 160 characters, the words in the bio are good indicators of interests and skills.
- Note the people who Tweet original information, their social authority and how many times they’ve Tweeted.
- Follow the top people and engage with them: reply to their Tweets; ReTweet them, Direct Message them if their DMs are open.
- Set up a Google Alert on your keywords to see articles on those topics that you can share.
- Follow the 12:1 rule: 12 times you reply, ReTweet, share interesting articles and videos; one time you Tweet about your product or service.
The Daily Numbers
- 48% Of Marketers Believe Amazon’s Alexa Is Better Than Google Assistant, Siri, Or Cortana For Marketing