Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 222
BL and David discuss the global anti-gun violence #MarchForOurLives; Facebook’s terrible week as news about the Cambridge Analytica data scandal finally hit mainstream media; how to live Tweet your presentation; the Marlon Bundo bunny book war between VP Pence and John Oliver; NYTimes planned TV series; YouTube’s new Quickstream for Chrome; marketing of Crusoe the Celebrity Puppy;#hashtags in Instagram bios at last; animated paint chips; a “Girls Only” job ad from Outsourcely; China’s social scoring; #FilmsMadeByFarmers..and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Among the most moving speeches was Naomi Wadler, age 11, for whom we should start a campaign fund right now. Clearly, she’ll be President one day.
- March For Our Lives
- Stories From the Crowd
- Demonstrators Who Brought Guns and an Opposing Message: ‘Shoot Back’
How To Live-Tweet Your Own Conference Presentation
Seven steps you should take to live-tweet your own conference presentation.
John Oliver’s Parody Children’s Book ‘Marlon Bundo’ Challenges Pence’s Views on LGBT Rights Guess which one is the best-seller on Amazon?
- “Marlon Bundo’s Day in the Life of the Vice President”
- A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo
- Marlon Bundo on Instagram
- John Oliver’s Parody of Mike Pence’s Bunny Book Happens to Be a Delightful Work of Children’s Literature
NY Times TV
The New York Times has conquered the podcasting world with “The Daily.” Now it wants to crack television with a weekly news program.
- The New York Times makes plans for weekly TV program
- New York Times’ Editor/Executive Producer Job Opening
She Was the Only Woman in a Photo of 38 Scientists, Until Twitter Found Her
Everyone was identified except the one woman in a group photo of 38 mostly white and all male marine biologists. The men were named in the caption, the woman was not. It took Twitter only three days to solve the mystery.
Easy YouTube Live Streaming
YouTube has released a feature that makes it simple and quick to start a livestream from your desktop.
Crusoe the Celebrity Dachshund
Ever dreamed of having your dog support you so you don’t have to work 9 to 5? Meet Crusoe, whose humans are his managers and producers.
Instagram Upgrades Bios
Hashtags and @tags are now live in Instagram biographies.
This animated ad from Sherwin-Williams make me want to paint something. The campaign theme is “Where Will Color Take You?”
Twitter went whimsical today when #FilmsMadeByFarmers started trending.
— mullen (@pmullen87) March 25, 2018
— Demis Roosausages (@AlbertoParanoia) March 25, 2018
— Darrell Riddell (@DarrellRiddell) March 25, 2018
— Andrew Heister (@andrew_heister) March 25, 2018
— Jack Carpenter (@Carpenter_JACK5) March 25, 2018
Worst Digital Cases
Only Girls Can Apply For This Job
A job ad from Outsourcely is seeking an “Email Marketer with great social media skills! (girls only)”
Note: NO MALE APPLICANTS Please.
China’s Orwellian social engineering system Sesame Credit is now punishing citizens with poor social scores by banning them from public transit.
- China to ban citizens with bad ‘social credit’ from some forms of travel
- Episode 169: China’s Social Media Engineering & America’s Social Divide
Mainstream Media Discovers Cambridge Analytica Story
The Cambridge Analytica story finally broke open this past week with joint reporting by The Guardian and the New York Times.
- Revealed: 50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica in major data breach
- How Trump Consultants Exploited the Facebook Data of Millions
- Suspending Cambridge Analytica and SCL Group from Facebook
- Facebook suspends Cambridge Analytica for misuse of user data, which Cambridge denies
- Facebook and its executives are getting destroyed after botching the handling of a massive data ‘breach’
- Facebook suspended Donald Trump’s data operations team for misusing people’s personal information
“Steve [Bannon] wanted weapons for his culture war… we offered him a way to accomplish what he wanted.”
A whistleblower tells how 50 million Facebook profiles were grabbed by Cambridge Analytica – the data firm linked to Trump’s win. pic.twitter.com/XsgyajIKbj
— Channel 4 News (@Channel4News) March 17, 2018
— Maura Healey (@MassAGO) March 17, 2018
Facebook breach: This is a major breach that must be investigated. It’s clear these platforms can’t police themselves. I've called for more transparency & accountability for online political ads. They say “trust us.” Mark Zuckerberg needs to testify before Senate Judiciary.
— Amy Klobuchar (@amyklobuchar) March 17, 2018
Shiny New Stuff
Digital experiences apps for make-up
Thanks to augmented reality apps, you soon won’t need to go to a store to try or buy make-up.
400,000 Free Fine Art Images
The third most visited museum in the world has essentially turned over a trove of high resolution images to any individual or business who wish to use, copy, or modify them for their projects—with no conditions attached.
- Access 400,000 Free High-Res Images From The Metropolitan Museum Of Art
- Metropolitan Museum Of Art Public Domain Collection
An artist who goes by Subway Doodle, uses Procreate to add monsters to photos he takes on iPhone and transfers to iPad.