Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 230
BL and David discuss Mary Meeker’s 2018 Internet Trends Report; Trump’s Unconstitutional Twitter blocking; GDPR as a sleep aid; Google DoubleClick’s new programmatic audio advertising option; Ambien maker Sanofi’s snarky newsjacking of the Roseanne Barr story; Facebook’s influencer search engine; YouTube’s new sharing options; agency lawsuits; Amazon Alexa spying; horrible headlines; Google goes evil; rebooting routers; …and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Mary Meeker’s 2018 Internet Report
Here’s a first look at Mary Meeker’s highly anticipated 2018 Internet Trends Report, all 294 slides of it, covers everything from smartphone behavior in the U.S. to tech company competition in China and the rise of freelance and on-demand employment.
Here are the slides, all 294 of them
Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald wrote in her 75-page decision, because the @realdonaldtrump Twitter account is a public forum operated by the government, meaning viewpoint discrimination is strictly prohibited.
- Trump Can’t Block Critics On Twitter. What This Means For You
- Knight First Amendment Institute vs Donald Trump, et al [PDF]
GDPR Law Becomes Bedtime Story for Meditation App
“New laws aren’t meant to be exciting – but this one could sedate a buffalo.”
Calm, the popular meditation app, has Sleep Stories, which are meant to help you drift off to sleep. In a stellar example of newsjacking, Calm added a reading of the 207-page GDPR Law to its Sleep meditations.
Advertisers can buy digital audio ad inventory programmatically on Spotify, TuneIn, SoundCloud and Google Play Music.
- DoubleClick Bid Manager opens up digital audio ad buying globally
- Digital Audio Ads come to DoubleClick
- Report on audio campaigns
- Purchase audio inventory
Ambien Maker to Roseanne Barr: Racism is Not a Side Effect of Our Drug
On Wednesday, she blamed her now-deleted Tweets on Ambien. Within minutes, Sanofi, maker of Ambien Tweeted a denial, in a brilliant example of newsjacking.
- ‘Racism is not a known side effect,’ Ambien maker says after Roseanne Barr blames it for tweets
- After Racist Tweet, Roseanne Show is Cancelled by ABC
- Roseanne Barr Says Ambien Played Role In Racist Tweet That Spiked Her Show’s Reboot
Facebook’s Influencer Search Engine
Creators making content for brands could unlock ad dollars.
YouTube’s New Sharing Options
YouTube has added an option to its sharing button that allows you to share a video directly to someone to whom you are connected via Google’s ecosphere.
Worst Digital Cases
Diet Madison Avenue Slapped With Suit, Sues Back
Ralph Watson, former chief creative officer of CP+B’s Boulder office, has filed a $10 million defamation lawsuit against Diet Madison Avenue, an anonymous Instagram account aimed at calling out acts of sexual harassment and discrimination in the ad industry. They countersued him.
It’s every smart home speaker owner’s worst nightmare: a private message recorded and sent to a recipient without their knowledge.
- Amazon Alexa recorded private conversation, sent it to random contact, woman says
- Alexa recorded a woman’s private conversation and sent it to a random contact
- Don’t Freak Out About That Amazon Alexa Eavesdropping Situation
- Alexa Messaging
- Amazon’s Alexa keeps recordings of your voice — here’s how to delete them
This Headline is Horrible, But I Can’t Stop Laughing
“It was the commander and cheeks!” said the lede of the NY Post story about Kim Kardashian’s visit to the White House to discuss prison reform with another reality show star.
- Kim Kardashian Meets With trump to Discuss Prison Reform
- Exclusive: Kim Kardashian West on Alice Johnson: I’ll do whatever it takes to get her out
Reboot Your Routers!
The FBI is imploring American citizens to reboot their routers and change the passwords because Russian malware has infected more than 500,000 routers used in homes and small businesses in more than 50 countries.
The Peace Train Has Left Google Station
Google’s unofficial motto has been buried in the last line of the company’s code of conduct.
Shiny New Stuff
Jolly Roger Robots Annoy Telemarketers
One telemarketer gets so annoyed at the Jolly Jenny robot that he says he’s going to come by the woman’s house and kill her puppy.
Mashable Comedian James Veich Who Engages Email Scammers
LightPDF is free website providing online PDF tools. Those tools include the PDF converters, editor and other tools that can help to split, merge, sign, unlock PDF. It will convert PDF to Word, .png, jpeg, Power Point or Text and convert all of those formats to PDF.
Schedule email reminders.
- 21 Innovative Contractor Lead Generation Ideas – David is quoted in this story
- Marketing Reports, Surveys & Polls For May, 2018