Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 202
Co-hosts BL Ochman and David Erickson discuss Kim Jung Un calling Trump a “dotard” and the Internet reaction; Facebook’s Nazi algorithm, destination pizza; Google’s Power Searching course; a juvenile Minnesota Vikings hire; NPR teaching print journalists how to create audio stories; fake attorneys targeting Amazon sellers; a Stranger Things Cease & Desist Letter with heart; great new apps and much, much more. SUBSCRIBE: iTunes or Google Play or Stitcher or iHeart Radio.
Best Digital Cases
How Millions Learned the of Dotard
Millions sought the definition of “dotard” after Kim Jung Un called Trump a “dotard.” It was widely defined as “senile or weak-minded elderly person.” In fact, the original Korean statement means “old beast lunatic,” which many think is spot on.
- Kim Vows To Tame ‘Mentally Deranged’ Trump As North Korea Threatens H-Bomb Test
- What is a Dotard? The Weird History of Kim Jung Un’s Insult
- Kim Jung Un Calling Trump a “Dotard” Gave the Internet a Language Lesson
The Korean original statement said "늙다리 미치광이," which means old beast lunatic — which was translated into "dotard." https://t.co/2uQ0Xsxe2X
— Jihye Lee 이지혜 (@TheJihyeLee) September 21, 2017
By making people look up the word #dotard, Kim Jong Un has done more for American education than Betsy DeVos.
— Helen Keller Hands (@raisingfreen) September 22, 2017
— Richard Hine (@richardhine) September 22, 2017
The owners of Punch Pizza take their managers to Naples, Italy every other year to experience genuine Neapolitan pizza. During the last trip they took a videographer to tell their story.
Brooke Baldwin Pulled the Mic on Male Chauvinist Pig
CNN’s Brooke Baldwin quickly ended a segment by shutting the microphone of Fox Sports Radio’s Clay Travis who repeatedly expressed his love for the “First Amendment and boobs.”
— (((B.L. Ochman))) (@whatsnext) September 16, 2017
How To Tell Audio Stories
National Public Radio is taking feedback on a document teaching print journalists how to tell audio stories.
Take Google’s Free Power Searcher Course
Google’s new self-paced course nets you a certification as a power searcher. It’s got great content. And it’s free.
Netflix Stranger Things Cease & Desist
Netflix took a different avenue than your standard cease and desist lawyer letter to the Stranger Things-themed pop-up restaurant: Humor and a light touch.
- Netflix Channels ‘Stranger Things’ Kids In A Legal Warning
- A Look Inside the ‘Stranger Things’ Bar Pop-Up in Chicago
- Dr. Brenner
He-Man & Skelator Dirty Dance
Money Supermarket found a winning combination for its new commercial: Dirty Dancing, He-Man and Skelator.
Worst Digital Cases
Cincinnati Zoo Dares to Claim It Has Replaced Harambe
Internet reaction was swift when the zoo announced that it has replaced Harambe. You cannot just “replace Harambe” with another gorilla. There will never be another Harambe. And this poor gorilla, whose name is Mshindi, looks terrified.
Meet Harambe's replacement at Cincinnati Zoo
Minnesota Vikings Hire Child Consultant
The NFL hired an 18 year-old to help them reach the next generation.
- Vikings Engage Author and Speaker Jonah Stillman to Serve as Team’s Gen Z Advisor
- In hiring of teenage consultant, Vikings take long-term view of fan base
Facebook’s Nazi Algorithm
After being contacted by ProPublica, Facebook removed several anti-Semitic ad categories and promised to improve monitoring.
- Facebook Enabled Advertisers to Reach ‘Jew Haters’
- Facebook yanks education, employment, field of study and job title targeting after advertiser selects ‘Jew hater’ and ‘NaziParty’
- Updates to Our Ad Targeting
Fake Attorneys On Amazon
Bogus complaint from nonexistent law firm costs one entrepreneur $200,000.
- If You Sell on Amazon, a Fake Law Firm Could Make You Stop
- Amazon was tricked by a fake law firm into removing a hot product, costing this seller $200,000
Shiny New Stuff
RIPL: Geekwire 2017 app of the year
Create eye-catching animated videos and share them on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram with one tap.
This dashboard tracks online Russian propaganda in real time.
OBS: Open Broadcaster Software for live streaming
Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming quickly and easily on Windows, Mac or Linux.