Sarah Silverman Turns A Troll & Cadbury’s Full Willy Wonka
Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 214
David discusses Sarah Silverman’s compassionate response to a Twitter troll; Life Time Fitness’ decision to ban cable news; the Wellness VR platform pilot program in a senior living facility; Google’s audio-realistic text-to-speech technology; Firefox’s plans to shame insecure sites; Cadbury’s Willy Wonka white chocolate cream eggs; Apple’s long-awaited podcast analytics; Twitter’s video views; Facebook Ad Manager rules; the massive hardware security flaw that has effected all computer processors; a fatal swatting incident; Ajit Pai’s no-show at the Computer Electronics Show; and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Sarah Silverman Shows Compassion To Critic
In an extremely touching story, comedian Sarah Silverman responds with compassion, understanding and generosity to a Twitter troll.
- Sarah Silverman’s response to a Twitter troll is a master class in compassion
- Sarah Silverman’s Response To A Sexist Tweet Is A Much-Needed Ray Of Hope
- I Love You, America
Life Time Fitness Bans Cable News
Chanhassen, Minnesota-based Life Time Fitness, confirmed a change in policy that might bum out gym rats who are news junkies.
Virtual Reality For Senior’s Wellness
A fascinating VR pilot program at a senior living facility in Minneapolis.
Google’s Audio Realism
Google’s text-to-speech technology is getting realer and realer.
- Google’s voice-generating AI is now indistinguishable from humans
- Tacotron 2
- Natural TTS Synthesis by Conditioning WaveNet on Mel Spectrogram Predictions
- Speech Technology: A Practical Introduction [PDF]
Shame On Your Security!
The Firefox browser may soon start calling out websites that use standard a HTTP connection rather than using SSL Certificates employing HTTPS.
- Firefox May Soon Start Publicly Shaming Sites With Crappy Security
- Firefox Nightly
- Google tightens noose on HTTP: Chrome to stick ‘Not secure’ on pages with search fields
Cadbury Goes Full Willy Wonka
Cadbury is hiding its new white chocolate cream eggs in traditional cream eggs wrapping and a lucky few will win cash money.
Apple Turns On Podcast Analytics
Apple’s long-awaited podcast analytics have arrived.
Twitter Introduces Video Views
Twitter will now show a running tally of views for uploaded videos.
Facebook Ad Rules
Facebook Advertising’s Rules feature can help you automate your campaigns.
TL;MR: Topic Modeling
Christopher Penn’s six-part series on topic modeling is a must read for marketers.
Worst Digital Cases
Massive Computer Hardware Security Flaw
All major computer processors on all systems have been compromised for a decade. Damn.
- Report: All Intel Processors Made in the Last Decade Might Have a Massive Security Flaw
- Intel was aware of the chip vulnerability when its CEO sold off $24 million in company stock
- Intel’s CEO Just Sold a Lot of Stock
- How to protect devices from Spectre and Meltdown chip flaws
Swatting Leads To Innocent Man’s Death
A dispute over a $1.50 wager on a game of Call Of Duty has led to the swatting death of an innocent Kansas man.
- Swatting over Call of Duty game results in deadly police shooting of Kansas man
- Call of Duty gaming community points to ‘swatting’ in deadly Wichita police shooting
Ajit Pai Bails On CES After Net Neutrality Repeal
TL;MR: $1000 Will Allow You To Track An Individual
Wired explains how you can use ad networks to stalk people. Scary.
Shiny New Stuff
Do A/B, Multivariate & Redirect testing.
Most Engaging Stories Of 2017
Chartbeat analyzes a ton of stories based on a ton of data.
- 6 New Ways To Think About Optimizing For Voice Search – David is quoted in this story
- The Pros & Cons Of LinkedIn Advertising – A post David wrote for his agency’s blog