Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 220
BL and David discuss Mattel’s new line of historic Barbies; made up holidays; the Philando Castille crowdfunding effort that fed a school district; brilliant billboards; Techmeme’s new Ride Home podcast; how to write good error messages; the Jurassic World Alive AR app; Mall of America’s mallbot; Amazon’s creepy, laughing Echo; thought transfer technology; facial recognition in interviews; a brainwave-powered exoskeleton; voice optimization for Amazon Alexa; and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Inspiring Historic and Living Legend Women Are Being Made Into Barbie Dolls
Kids around the world will soon be able to own a Barbie doll bearing the likeness of Frida Kahlo, Amelia Earhart, Katherine Johnson and Olympian Chloe Kim. Happy #InternationalWomensDay.
- Beyond Social Media Show Episode 90: Hello Barbie
- Frida Kahlo And Other Historic Women Are Being Made Into Barbies
There are literally thousands of holiday, some very obscure, such as National No Socks Day and National Dance Like A Chicken Day. Then there’s the branded holidays, like National Barbie Day.
- Anyone can make up a holiday. This woman made up 1,900
- Official Federal Holidays
- 32 Obscure Holidays
— Chase's Calendar (@ChasesCalendar) March 5, 2018
Jurassic World Alive AR Game is The Next Pokemon
It’s like Pokemon, but with giant dinosaurs whose DNA samples you collect.
These cleverly creative billboards will make you smile.
Philando Castile’s Kindness Lives On
To honor his memory, a diversity and ethics college class at Metropolitan State University in St Paul, Minnesota, raised money to pay the lunch debt of students at his former school, J.J. Hill Montessori in St. Paul, MN. He regularly used his own money to buy lunch for kids who couldn’t afford lunch.
- Philando Castile used to buy lunch for poor students. That act of kindness didn’t die with him.
- YouCaring Fund Page: Philandro Feeds the Children
How To Write A Good Error Message
There’s an everyday type of failure that doesn’t get much attention in the product development process: The humble error message.
Techmeme Launches Daily “Ride Home” Podcast
Techmeme Ride Home will be released Monday through Friday at 5pm Eastern, and will feature a roundup of the day’s tech news that should last about 20 minutes. It’s part of a trend to daily podcasts.
Mall Of America is employing technology to improve customer service, and keep people coming to the mall.
Worst Digital Cases
Amazon Echo’s Alexa is Randomly Laughing and It’s Creepy As Hell
You’re reading in bed at night. The house is dark. Your Alexa is in another room. And she’s laughing a creepy, loud, human-sounding laugh, randomly. It happened to a lot of people.
- Amazon Knows Alexa Devices Are Laughing Spontaneously And It’s “Working To Fix It”
- Alexa is randomly laughing, and it’s creepy as hell (updated)
— CaptHandlebar (@CaptHandlebar) February 23, 2018
Thought Transfer Technology
We’re one step closer to being able to broadcast our thoughts to a screen, thanks to artificial intelligence.
- You think it and a robot sees it: The future is here with mind-reading AI
- Deep Image Reconstruction From Human Brain Activity [PDF]
- Scientists Reconstruct Brains’ Visions Into Digital Video In Historic Experiment
- Your Thoughts Can Now Be Recorded
This exoskeleton can be controlled by your thoughts pic.twitter.com/HPPv2Sls4U
— Futurism (@futurism) October 17, 2017
AI Is Now Analyzing Candidates’ Facial Expressions During Video Job Interviews
Echo Is Leaving Brands Speechless
Brands need a new strategy for dealing with voice-search assistants. If brands aren’t in the top of voice-activated search results, they will never be chosen.
Shiny New Stuff
This is a good source of non-stock, original, quality images by emerging photographers. You can download them and use them, free, on personal or commercial projects.
A very flexible and intuitive photo editing app.
Learn Digital From Google
Work at your own pace to complete each of the 26 digital marketing topics. You can unlock badges and also earn a Digital Garage Certificate of Online Proficiency.
- Why Facebook Games and Apps Are a Privacy Nightmare
- 25 Proven, Simple Ways To Get (Real!) Followers On Pinterest In 2018 – David is quoted in this article
The Daily Numbers