Guggenheim Punks Trump & Elton John’s 360 Retirement Tour
Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 216
BL and David discuss the Guggenheim Museum’s punking of Donald Trump with a golden toilet; the Finnegans beer augmented reality Super Bowl commercial; one-star Paris reviews; how Burger King educated consumers about Net Neutrality with Whopper Neutrality PSA ad; get out the vote postcards; Elton John’s 360 retirement tour trailer; Budweiser’s Big Data focus; Facebook’s newsfeed fail; the Super Bowl America deserves; the Twitter follower factory…and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Trumps Punked By Guggenheim With Solid Gold Toilet
Instead of the VanGogh the Trumps wanted to borrow for their private residence at the White House, Nancy Spector, chief curator of the Guggenheim, offered an 18-karat, fully functioning, solid gold toilet. The interactive work is titled “America.”
- The White House Asked to Borrow a van Gogh. The Guggenheim Offered a Gold Toilet Instead.
- Letter from Guggenheim
- Guggenheim Blog – Maurizio Cattelan’s Golden Toilet in the Time of Trump by Nancy Spector
Augmented Reality Super Bowl Ad
Finnegans, a nonprofit brewery that donates 100% of its profits to food shelves, has a budget of zero for a Super Bowl ad. So how to land a spot on the Big Game.
- How Local Businesses Can Get Their Share Of The $15.3B Super Bowl Pie
- Finnegans TV Takeover Apple App
- Finnegans TV Takeover Android App
A hilarious list of one-star reviews of the city of Paris,from Trip Advisor.
- Paris Reviewed
- MOULIN ROUGE – “An excruciating one and half hours of pain…”
- MUSÉE D’ORSAY – “Not worth unless you are into art”
Burger King Deftly Explains Net Neutrality
Burger King is making a name for itself by cleverly explaining prominent social and political issues with PSA ads. Last October we discussed the brand’s bulling PSA ad. This time, Burger King explains Net Neutrality.
Postcards to Voters
Grassroots organization Postcards to Voters supports Democrats in close races. Its 10,000 volunteers have sent over 500,000 handmade postcards to voters in dozens of key, close elections.
- Postcards to Voters
- Sioux City Voters Getting Out-of-Town Postcards in Special Election for Statehouse Seat
Elton John’s 360-Degree Retirement Party
Elton John announced his plans to cap off a career spanning more than half a century with an epic three-year globetrotting tour, with more than 300 shows planned across five continents, with the release of a retrospective 360 video.
Big Data Bud
With craft beer sales posing a serious threat to its business, Anheuser-Busch InBev is turning to big data to reclaim its competitive edge.
- The world’s biggest brewing company is thirsty for your data
- ZX Ventures
- Northern Brewer Homebrew Supply
Worst Digital Cases
Trump Trends. For Clapping.
Trump clapping for himself was the weirdest part of the State of the Union. It became a thing. He really loved his speech.
Free Beer Showers
A Minnesota establishment is offering fans of the Philadelphia Eagles who are in Minneapolis to watch their team in the Super Bowl free beers…to be thrown on them.
- Minneapolis’ Truth Bar has a very special limited-time offer for Eagles fans
- We found the worst people on earth
- Eagles fans pelt Vikings team bus with beer cans on way out of Philadelphia
- The Existential Hell of This Year’s Super Bowl
Facebook’s Fake Response to Fake News
Time spent on Facebook in the U.S. is down 50 million hours per day. Zuckerberg says that’s ok.
- Facebook Usage Falls in U.S. As It Begins to Tinker With the News Feed
- Facebook’s Fake War on Fake News
- Zuckerberg Post About Quarterly Results
- Twitter Election Update
The New York Times takes an in-depth look at Twitter follower factories and the people who use them to artificially inflate their “influence.” The story is also a superb example of interactive and data journalism.
Shiny New Stuff
The research library at the University of Texas at Austin’s Harry Ransom Center has more than 10,000 posters that it’s digitizing and slowly making available online.
WATCH file – Writers Artists and Their Copyright Holders database
Copyright contacts for writers, artists, and prominent figures in other creative fields.
With an Instagram Business Profile, you can now actually schedule posts through Hootsuite that are actually published to your Instagram account. Finally.
- How PR Agencies Will Make Money In 2018 – David was quoted in this story