Beyond Social Media Show, Episode 188
Co-hosts B.L. Ochman and David Erickson discussed Google Lens AI (artificial intelligence) on Android phones; the StarTribune’s 150 year’s worth of digitized archives; SNL’s Alexa for Seniors skit; Facebook adding screening to Groups; MailChimp’s email automation for everyone; Amazon Echo’s security flaw; hope for Parkinsons; Facebook’s trending conversations; PresVillian; Facebook’s Autoplay videos; great new apps and stats you should know…and much, much more.
Best Digital Cases
Google Lens AI Makes Your Phone Artificially Intelligent
Google Lens leverages Google’s computer vision and AI technology in order to bring smarts directly to your phone’s camera.
- Google Lens offers a clear view of the company’s future
- Google Lens will let smartphone cameras understand what they see and take action
The Minneapolis StarTribune puts 150 years-worth of archives online.
- From pulp to pixel: The Minneapolis Star Tribune has digitized every article since 1867
- StarTribune Digital Archives
- The Atlantic’s Life Timeline App – Episode 177
Amazon Echo Silver for Seniors
In a hilarious skit, Saturday Night Live’s Amazon Echo Silver is specifically designed for the greatest generation – created in a partnership between Amazon and AARP. She answers to any name even remotely like Alexa.
Record a sound. Get an artist to tattoo its waveform. Play your tattoo via an app.
Microsoft Prototype Watch Gives New Hope to Parkinson’s Patients
More than 10 million people worldwide are living with Parkinson’s. 60,000 are diagnosed each year in the US alone. There is no cure. But there may be hope.
- ‘My God, it’s better’: Emma can write again thanks to a prototype watch, raising hope for Parkinson’s disease
- Haiyan Zhang Microsoft Innovation Director
Automation For All
Two months ago, MailChimp integrated Facebook advertising management with its platform. This month, the email marketing service provider is making its automation features free.
- Announcing Free Marketing Automation For Everyone
- MailChimp Offers Facebook Ads Integration – Episode 173
PresSupervillain Nails King 45 Daily
Followed by 38K but following only 4, Pres. Supervillain takes real Trump quotes and Photoshops them onto comics.
— Pres. Supervillain (@PresVillain) May 17, 2017
The Animated Adventures of DJ Trump pic.twitter.com/OWSRN8OnAK
— Art of Stephen Byrne (@StephenByrne86) April 4, 2017
Facebook is rolling out a new feature called “Latest Conversations” in its search results that will show the most recent public posts about timely topics that a lot of people across its network are discussing.
- Facebook debuts a Twitter-like ‘Latest Conversations’ feature that shows public posts about buzzing topics
Facebook Groups Can Screen New Members With a Questionnaire
Now Group admins can establish up to three questions for people requesting to join their Group to answer. The goal is cutting down spam and trolling.
Worst Digital Cases
Amazon Echo’s Alexa Calling Has Major Privacy Flaw
Amazon seems to have made a significant oversight in bringing voice calls and messaging to its Echo speakers: there’s no way to block communication that you might not want.
Shiny New Stuff
A completely free, esay to install PHP development environment.
- XAMPP – Apache + MariaDB + PHP + Perl
An open source text editor that understands Web design.